Steps of reconciliation:
Before celebrating the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation, be sure to prepare with an
examination of conscience.
- The priest greets us, we pray the Sign of the Cross, and he invites us to trust
- We confess our sins. The priest may help and counsel us.
- The priest gives us a penance to perform such as the recitation of a prayer.
Fr. Tom will often ask if you understand the penance so that before you leave, you
can know with confidence what you must do.
- The priest asks us to express our sorrow, usually by reciting the Act
of Contrition. Fr. Tom recommends the version written below:
“O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins,
because of thy just punishment, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all
good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of thy grace to sin no more, and
avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.”
- We receive absolution.
The priest says, “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
We respond, “Amen.”
- The priest dismisses us by saying, “Go in peace,”
and we respond, “Thanks be to God.”
- We go forth to perform the act of penance he has given us!